Parent Point Guidelines
In an effort to keep all children safe and in accordance with State of California and Diocese of Oakland requirements, all who volunteer at St. Edward School must be 18 years of age or older. Volunteers may include parents/guardians, grandparents, or relatives and must complete BOTH Safe Environment Online Training and be cleared through Live Scan Fingerprinting. In order to participate & receive “Parent Point” credits for any school activity, the following two requirements must be fulfilled PRIOR to the Activity:
- Safe Environment for Children Project - Every volunteer must complete or attend ONE training course beginning July 1, 2016, then every 3 years after. You may do a training course online or you may sign up to attend a live class at a parish near you. Please go to https://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/reg_2.cfm?theme=0&org=22671 to sign up to do either an online course or to attend a live session. Once completed, please turn in the certificate to the school office. You must complete a course before earning any parent points.
- Live Scan Fingerprinting - If you completed your fingerprints with the Diocese of Oakland, you do not need to re-do this. If you are unsure, please email the school secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org and she can confirm this information for you. Detailed instructions can be found under the "Parent Information" tab.
- Volunteer Form - The Diocese of Oakland is now requiring everyone that volunteers to complete this form. Many of you have been completing this form since it was introduced in January 2019, but if you have not signed one of these forms yet, please be sure to do so before you volunteer. This is a one-time requirement. You may pick up forms in the school office.
Every family is expected to become actively involved at St. Edward School. During the course of the 2020-2021 school year, all 2-parent families are expected to complete a minimum of 17 hours/points of family participation or 13 hours/points for single-parent families. You are encouraged to continue your support and participation after the minimum standards have been met.
Hours/Points may begin to accumulate as of August 1st, before the start of the school year, through the end of April (exact date published yearly). Hours/Points earned from August 1 through the 1st day of school, must be pre-approved by the Principal and will count toward the upcoming school year’s participation hour requirement. Hours/Points earned after the last published date in April must also be pre-approved by the Principal with the exception of Field Day in May. Those volunteering for SCRIP and Yard Duty after the April deadline will have those points credited to the upcoming school year in August.
There are 3 ways to verify Parent Points earned:
- Point SLIPS – to be filled out by the parent & signed off by appropriate chairperson
- Point LISTS – to be filled out by the teacher or appropriate chairperson and submitted
- Sign-In Sheets posted at the PTG meeting, to earn one point per family for attendance
Those earning parent points by serving on a Board should have their slips completed and turned in by the beginning of April. Those earning points through CYO should have their points turned in at the end of each season.